Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Roots

I am thrilled to see green things poking through the ground in my flowerbeds. It signals Spring to me more than the warming temperatures.

I have to tell the truth. I am a VERY impatient gardener. My husband teases that I like to perform "professional installations" instead of enjoying the gradual art of tending to a garden. He has been right in other years - but not this one. This girl is turning over a new leaf.

Have you ever had the sense in your life that things are not completely under your own control? As an organizer I don't really like that feeling. It seems that my family is in a place of great opportunity right now. There are several choices ahead of us that create "unknown" and "wonder" (and even worry, if you ask me!).

What is a girl to do?

Today I purchased an unbelieveable number of seed packets. I intend to plant every single one of those seeds on Friday. Cosmos, sweet peas, lettuce, etc... And I am going to be patient...

I look at it as a spiritual discipline and an act of self-control. If you know me, you know this is a stretch. What better than to put down literal roots when you are working on putting down figurative roots too?

Join me. Turn off your computer and plant something!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just planted a hill of pumpkins in my Florida backyard. :-) And I have an aquarium full of tomato seedlings, newly sprouted, on my enclosed back porch.