Friday, November 2, 2007

Hand-me-downs!?!?!?!

I am a major thrift shop junkie. There should really be a support group from people like me. The thought of finding a treasure in what looks like a pile of junk is better than going to Tiffany and Co. Truly!

What is EVEN BETTER than a thrift shop? Hand-me-downs.
Those big plastic bags from friends and family holding unknown gems are even more thrilling to me.

...BUT BEWARE! Those same bags of hand-me-downs can be a curse too! Accepting these "gifts" from others can get complicated. You don't need to be the central dumping station for anyone simply because you have children of a certain size.

If you chose to accept them - here is what to do. Sort the clothes immediately into three piles - keep, donate and trash. Once you do that place the keepers directly into the laundry, trash the throwaways, and bag up the donation items. Place them on the front passenger seat of the car. If they go in the trunk, they will stay there too long!

Keep in mind that it IS okay to decline hand-me-down offers. You shouldn't feel obligated to add to the (possible) piles of clutter already spilling out in unwanted places. Gently say that you have all that you need this season, thank you!

No comments: